Monday, December 19, 2011

Writer's Reflection of the Year by Susie Sheehey

Member Spotlight
Susie Sheehey is the President of Greater Fort Worth Writers. She is a former Medical Distribution Sales Representative and now is a stay at home mom who writes contemporary romantic fiction full time. Please leave a comment.

Christmas lights are up both inside and outside my house, decorations surround me as I type, and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is playing the in background on iTunes. My son is asleep in his crib while my husband studies in his office. For once in our household, it’s quiet. And since it’s been so long since I’ve blogged (for several reasons), I thought this was the most opportune and rare moment to reflect.

It’s been a whirlwind year, to say the very least.

Great highs as we watch our son grow, a billion little challenges and a few big ones thrown in there. Same as my writing ‘career.’ Great highs as I improve my skills and learn new techniques, a billion little challenges (mostly just to find the time to write), and a few big road-bumps. Most of my writing goals I set at the beginning of the year I achieved, which I’m very proud with. I set a few stretch goals (NaNoWriMo), and didn’t quite complete those, but I was so close. Again, I’m proud I got that far.

I’ve helped my writers group expand its membership (nearly doubling in size) and learned so much from everyone, I’m so thankful for their help and support. I couldn’t have gotten through my writing goals this year without them. Well, maybe I could have, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as fun or interesting.

I’m hoping to pick my manuscripts back up in the next coming weeks, after I finish my Christmas shopping and overcome consistent sickness, and finally be in a position to query my 2nd one, and revise the 3rd. Along the way, I greatly hope not to stress out the loved ones around me.

I’ll post my goals for 2012 as soon as I have them created. I strongly advise every writer to have goals for the year, and non-writers as well. Gives you something to strive for every day, week, month.

In the meantime, keep writing forward. And reflecting in the rare quiet moments in between.

Contact Susie at http://susansheehey.wordpress.com

3 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

Inspiring message Susie! I failed horribly at my writing goals for this year, but next year is a new start :)

C. A. Szarek said...

Goals...goals...I should get some of those, huh? You're a good influence, Susie so I am sure I will come around one of these days! :)

Miss Lego said...

Thanks a lot for these words, since I actually haven't thought of goals as you did. It sounds like a good idea though.

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...